Saturday, April 2, 2011

Goodbye Midland



So now that we have officially moved from Midland I thought I'd make a list of what I will miss the most and what I will not miss about our 2 years in Midland.

Starting with what...

I Will Miss
Proximity. everything in town is so close. 7 minutes to Jonathan's work, 5 minutes to ballet and gymnastics, 8 minutes to Kirsten's school, 2 minutes to the grocery store...

The airport. This probably seems weird, but it is so close and so convenient. You can literally stand in one place and see the entire airport.

Kirsten's School. I love her teacher, I love the class size (10 kids in her class), I love having her home twice a week.

The Sky

The Weather. I love the warm weather throughout the year and I even love the Summer weather. Little humidity, nice cool nights...love it.

Rosas. Best Mexican food ever!

Friends. We've made some really great friends in our ward. I've especially realized this the last few months. I've been so busy traveling to Dallas every week and I've had people who just had babies, have 3 kids at home, have 5 busy kids insisting on helping me. This last week we've had so many people help us with our move. We really have been so blessed

Danie. Ok I have to do a special category for the person who made Midland bearable for me the last year and a half. Before she moved in I didn't think I was going to make it. But after I actually really started to love living in Midland. We have had so much fun running together (well mostly fun except for that 16 miler that almost killed us;), having play dates, and mostly just talking. I've really needed her these last few months. I had a particularly bad day last month and she dropped everything to come make sure I was ok, and I really needed that! It hasn't sunken in yet that I'm not going to see her everyday, when it does...well, let's just say that's going to be a bad day for me! And I know Kirsten is going to miss her little girl, Brighton, her BFF for the last almost 2 years.

I Won't Miss
Nothing to do.

The Water. I can't wait to be able to drink water out of the tap without risking disease.

No Water or rain. I love lakes, rivers, streams, oceans, and rain.M y parents have more of that in their neighborhood than in the whole city of Midland.

The Ugly. Even people who love West Texas will admit that it's one of the ugliest places on Earth.

"Don't Mess With Texas" Litter commercials.
"Cause God blessed Texas With His own hand. Brought down a piece of the promised land. He gave them a place like they've never seen, said all got to do ya'll is keep it clean..." See previous "won't miss" for why this song drove me nutty; and I heard it at least once a week for the last 2 years.

Dust. When we first moved to Midland a lady in our ward could sense that I didn't love it there. Her response was just wait until April when the dust storms come and you'll be cursing your husband for moving you here. What she didn't know is that I already was. There's nothing like seeing the dust blow in.

Isolation. It's not that Midland is too small it's just that it's so far away from everything. 5 hours to a major city is too far.

2 comments:

Springers said...

Ok, my license plate in high said "Don't Mess With Texas!" You didn't get in to the Texas pride? :-) Glad you have moved back to OK... hope you like it better in Coffeyville!

Lauri said...

10 kids in Kirsten's class?!?! That is crazy! I bet she loved that! Jocelyn's class has 19 kids and it gets a little crazy in there sometimes! :)
It's so crazy that you aren't in Midland anymore! I feel like I haven't talked to you in forever, which I guess is true!! So glad for blogs! Let us know how things are in OK once you settle in.