Sunday, August 22, 2010

The last days of Summer

Well the end of Summer is approaching. My little girl starts kindergarten tomorrow! So here's what we've been up to the last few weeks.

Lots of this...Swimming that is. Our friends let us use their pool while they were out of town for a couple of weeks so we went almost everyday.


Kirsten also took swimming lessons. It was so fun to see how much she improved in 2 weeks. At the beginning of the class she didn't even want to stick her face in the pool when she swam, by the end she was working on her strokes and starting to swim pretty fast.


We've done lots of baking. Grandma Townsend asked if I had made any cinnomon rolls lately, I told her I had a couple of times and she asked if I had her recipe. When I said "no", she told me they must not be very good then. Which is true. So I wrote down her recipe and have attempted them twice. The first time was not good but the second time they turned out pretty yummy. Not as good as grandma's, of course. I love to make my grandma's recipes to remind me of her and the good old days.


We've been attempting to get Colton used to sleeping in a bed before the baby comes. So far I've woken up to noise in the back yard at 11:30 at night to find Colton playing back there, I've found him playing in Kirsten's room, our room, the family room and one morning I found him under his bed. He's learned that if he goes to the bathroom I'll let him get up and change his diaper. So his new thing is he'll get up and say "I poop, I poop." Whether he has or not he figures it buys him some time.


Kirsten built this block tower and had to have a picture of it to show daddy before Colton destroyed it.


We've spent a lot of time cleaning up after and trying to keep this crazy boy in line.


We've been going to the gym. One day the ladies there decided to let the little kids watch Marley and Me. When I went to pick Kirsten up I could tell she was trying to hold back tears. I asked her what was wrong and she told me the dog had just died in the movie she was watching and the people buried him in their yard. She was near tears the rest of the day and spent most of it snuggling with her dog.


We've watched some cake shows. Kirsten loves to bake with me. Actually I think she'd prefer doing it alone but I'm a mean mommy and I don't let her.


She also loves to pretend like she is making cakes with play dough. I have to admit I've let her watch Cake Boss a couple of times (I know I'm a bad mom). When she was "making cakes" the other day she kept saying "I mean this cake is going to be awesome (awesome said in a very thick New Jersey accent)" It's pretty funny,


We've gone to Kirsten's school to meet her teacher, which was a little nerve racking for Kirsten and me. But she is very excited for school tomorrow. I was feeling nostalgic thinking my kids are growing up so fast so I had to take some pictures of them this morning.






We had a little back to school party tonight. We had some yummy Papa Murphy's pizza, ate some birthday cake ice cream that Kirsten picked out, Kirsten picked out her outfit for tomorrow...we are pretty much all set. We'll just have to try to hold it together tomorrow.

1 comment: