Friday, June 13, 2008


Ok, so you know how children's shows try to teach kids a message by having the character do something wrong and then teaching them that it's wrong? So, yeah, that doesn't work, at least for my child. In the last week Kirsten has picked up some interesting habits from watching Berenstain Bears.
It started early this week when Jonathan asked Kirsten to say prayers before bedtime. Kirsten folded her arms put her head down and said "It's not fair". That comes from an episode when Brother and Sister bear were asked to clean up a vacation home before playing at the beach.
Another episode of "bears" taught the importance of not saying bad words or calling people names. Sister bear watched a naughty movie in which the main character called someone else a "furball", which apparently in Bear Country is like saying the "F" word. So last night Kirsten took Jonathan's shoes and put them in Colton's closet. We told her not to do that because Daddy would not be able to find his shoes. So Jonathan was putting his shoes away when Kirsten said "You're such a furball".
So, needless to say, I think we're done watching the bears.

Oh and I need to write this down for my own memory because it was really funny and I don't want to forget. So last Wednesday we had a ward playgroup at the park. Michael, Kirsten's friend and love of her life, was there. They were so cute together. They would run up to each other and hold hands and then follow each other around the whole time. They sat on the bench eating teddy grahams and just talking away. Whenever they couldn't find each other we could see them searching trying to find the other one, and one time when they found each other they ran to each other from opposite sides of the park with open arms and gave each other this big old hug. Words can't describe I need to take some pictures next time.

4 comments:

Lauri said...

Jenny! That is TOO funny!! I never thought about it that way, but I don't think I want to risk the bears teaching Jocelyn bad habits either! :) Too bad b/c we used to love those books and I think my mom has a ton of them!

Isn't young love just too cute?!? Ha ha. Be thankful that Kirsten has a crush on someone her own age!! Jocelyn is in love with Graham's coworker who is 30!!! Oh boy!! :)

Em said...

What the furball are Stan and Jan teaching our children!

I bought a bunch of bear books b/c they were my favorite when I was a kid. But reading them now, I really don't like Mama Bear. She's always latching onto some fad idea like "no TV" "eat healthy" and imposing it on the whole bear family do it. She's a furball control freak and it furball bugs me.

Jenn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meli said...

She is so freaking hilarious and cute! i wish we were closer (physically)!