Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Bake Sale

We found out a few weeks before Christmas that a really sweet family in our old ward in Pennsylvania is going through something really hard. The mom, Heather, was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. So Kirsten and I decided we'd have a bake sale to help raise money to pay for her treatment. We made fliers, passed them out around the neighborhood, and baked, baked, baked all week.





I couldn't believe the kindness of people who don't even know this family. When we first opened for business a man walked up to me and said he didn't want anything but wanted to help and handed me a 20 dollar bill and then another man came up to me and said he wasn't much for sweets but wanted to help and gave me a 100 dollar bill! I could not hold back the tears. My great friend Danie stayed up late the night before to make cookies for us to sell. This was such a great experience for Kirsten and I and we managed to make a little money for this sweet family. Heather was my visiting teacher and was amazing. Her kids are the sweetest ever. Her son, Max, contributed to my love of that name. These guys will always hold a special place in our hearts for making us feel welcome when first moved to Pennsylvania.

5 comments:

Carrie said...

How awesome, we're glad you had a great experience!!

Seth said...

Wow! All those treats look so cute and yummy. It looks like it was a huge success!

jami v. said...

ok. this makes me cry! what a great thing for you guys to do for them!! and what a great experience for kirsten to have.

OKTownsends said...

You always wanted to have bake sales when you were a kid. I am impressed that you are so caring. You always have been sweet. And amazing.

Jen said...

What a wonderful idea!!! I miss you guys so much!!! Come back! :)